Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Driving on the Wrong Side

It is no secret that one of the things I was most nervous about when I found out we were moving to England was the driving. We made the decision to move my Nissan Murano with us rather than the Jeep (insert Bill's tears) since I am crap at driving stick.


So I'm driving on the American side of the car on the left side of the road. I guess I considered it a compromise since I'm only switching one thing rather than two.

It has been a struggle to say the least, learning to drive on these tiny British back roads that are about 1 1/2 lanes wide with my giant American vehicle.

Yes people, they expect traffic to go in both directions on this road.


Roundabouts still confuse me at times. You need to know exactly where you are going when you approach them so you are in the correct lane. The smaller ones, no problem, but the 4+ lane ones with 5 exits give me white knuckles every time! I'm getting better, but I have definitely not mastered them yet (right Bill :-) ?)

Okay, so this may be a bit of an exaggeration but craziness like this does exsist!!


My final gripe with the Brits on this topic is their limited ability of labeling their streets or motorway exit signs. Rather than exiting at a specific street, you are told what towns are in a certain direction. Thank goodness for the invention of the GPS. I don't know how I'd get anywhere around here without it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment