Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Birth of Hayden Maryn Barnard


I've been real bad about blogging lately. I still have to post about our trip to Paris we took back over THANKSGIVING for goodness sake. I suppose I have a good excuse that we were working hard to get ready for the arrival of our daughter. It was a good thing that I was a freak about having things ready since she decided to surprise us 3.5 weeks early!!

We have made some great friends through a parenting class we took in December and January. 8 couples, all first time parents with due dates within about 6 weeks of one another.

On January 27th, we went out for Indian food with 2 of the couples. It had been my last day of work and we wanted to celebrate. Curry is supposed to help induce labor and one of the ladies was at her due date so we thought it sounded like a good idea.

Well, the curry worked.....for me!! Sunday evening Bill and I were relaxing at home. I got up to get something from the kitchen and was surprised to find my water broke!!

Everything stopped. My heart and brain started to race. This couldn't be it could it? No, it is too soon. I waited a bit and it kept coming so I called the hospital to ask for advice. They wanted me to come in to confirm if it was my water or not.

When they examined me they confirmed that my water had broken. I was not having any contractions yet, but they were concerned about infection so I was put on antibiotics. The doctor wanted to induce me the next day if I didn't go into labor spontaneously, but I couldn't wrap my head around the baby coming so fast. I was not ready. I mean, I had not washed any of her clothes. I didn't even have a bag packed for the hospital. I only finished work 2 days earlier. This was NOT supposed to be happening!! I had a long list of things I wanted to get done before the baby arrived on the fridge. We agreed for me to be induced if labor had not begun by the end of the week (when I would be full term at 37 weeks).

I was sent home around 1 in the morning. My contractions started about 90 minutes later so the decision was made for me. Hayden was officially on her way. I spent the night doing laundry and packing for the hospital. It still did not seem real that I would be having a baby today. My midwife called around 6AM and asked that we come in again so I could be examined by the doctors.

Here I am. So thrilled to be in labor a month early.

Since my labor had begun, but was not "established", I was moved to a different ward to progress at my own pace. What sucked about this ward was that it had visiting hours. I arrived at 10am and Bill had to leave from 1-3pm. My contractions got really strong while he was gone and it sucked to be on my own. By the time Bill got back, things had moved along pretty far. I had been pacing the hallway because it was too painful to stay in one place. The midwife examined me again and found that I had gone to 6-7 centimeters and they were suddenly in a rush to get me back to labor and delivery.

One bumpy and painful wheelchair ride later, I was back in the delivery room. Things progressed quite quickly to 10 centimeters and it was time for me to push.

For pain control, they use something here called gas and air. It is like the gas at the dentist. It was amazing. I didn't think it would do much for me, but it rocked. It was all I used.

Nearly 3 hours of pushing later, our little lady was not budging any further. The doctor examined me and determined that she was head down, but faced up and stuck. The only option was the dreaded forceps, which meant we had to move to an OR and I needed to have a spinal block.

The OR experience was surreal. I was completely numb below the chest. It was a relief to have an end to all that pain, but still scary because she was not out yet. 2 different doctors worked to deliver her. Poor Hayden's shoulder was stuck so it was difficult for them to get her out.

When she finally was finally out, the doctor put her on my belly. All I could see was her butt and she was not moving. They cut her cord quickly and she was whisked away to the other side of the room by the pediatrician because she was not breathing.

It felt like forever, but it probably took about a minute before we heard her cry. She needed some oxygen to get going, but she was going to be fine. She was born January 30th at 9:13 pm and weighed 6 pounds, 9 ounces.

Before they handed her to me, they warned me that she looked a bit beat up from the forceps. I still was not ready to see her look like this.
Poor baby!!! She had lots of bruising and swelling on her face and abrasions on her head.


First family photo in the recovery room. Very tired.

The next morning she looked much better. It is amazing how fast babies heal! She still had significant bruising on her mouth and eyes but was on the mend.

My sweet baby sleeping on my chest, 12 hours old.

Because of her injuries and being a bit premature, we had to stay in an extra day. She started looking a bit yellow and tested positive for jaundice. We were moved to a private room and Hayden spent her second day of life in this machine. She did really well. I thought she would be crying and upset, but it was warm and hummed so it probably felt like she was back in the womb. The doctors came to test her blood every 8-12 hours.
We were back and forth with the doctors on her bilirubin levels over the next 3 days. This ward had strange visiting hours, so poor Bill could only be with us a few hours per day. He was busy getting the house ready for Hayden when he wasn't with us. It was definitely hard on us all to be apart, but I am happy she got the best medical care possible.

Daddy visiting and keeping Hayden in the sunlight to get those bili levels down!
By Friday, I was so ready to get out of that hospital. Hayden was no longer under the lights and her bili levels had dropped to an acceptable range, but the doctors were insisting we spend another day in the hospital.

I was really upset and one of the midwives talked to the doctor and got him to agree to let us go home if we promised to bring her back for testing the next day. We were FINALLY going home!! Bill came right away to collect us before they changed their minds.

We are so happy to be home and this past week has gone well. I have made a point to get out of the house both with and without Hayden. I had my first solo trip with her to meet my fellow moms for coffee yesterday. We also got to meet 2 other little girls that have been born to our group in the past week.

The midwives in England come to your home after you have had a baby, which is an amazing idea! They are happy with Hayden's progress and are no longer concerned about her jaundice.

Hayden is an amazing little girl and Bill and I feel so blessed to call her ours!

1 comment:

  1. What a crazy and great birth story. And Hayden is a beautiful baby. So happy for you Megan! Congratulations!
    x Becky

    ReplyDelete